I've Moved!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

another chocolate chip cookie.


I'm pretty sure I've found my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe already but there's no harm in trying out another one. This one has coarsely ground oatmeal and instant espresso powder added to give the cookie a little kick. I'm not quite digging the oatmeal even though it did add a nice toasty flavour because of its texture- I like crispy cookies, not chewy.

I could kick myself for forgetting to sprinkle on the sea salt before baking. The sweet-salty contrast would really give the cookies a boost.

A good cookie, but I like mine better.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Bob Vivant

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 tbsp instant espresso powder (I used 1 tbsp and it was pretty obvious)
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats (I pre-toasted them)
1/4 cup flax seeds (optional)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I omitted)
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
flaky sea salt, for sprinkling

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed in a mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and espresso powder.

In a food processor, pulse the oatmeal several times until it's reduced to coarse crumbs.

Combine the ground oatmeal, flax seeds if using, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate the dough overnight or up to 3 days.

When ready to bake, portion out tablespoonfuls of cookie dough onto lined baking sheets and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Bake at 350F for 14 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned but still soft.

No comments :

Post a Comment