I've Moved!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

chocolate chunk pumpkin bread.


Hello folks! I've been neglecting this blog quite a bit recently because of studies but that's not going to continue anymore (until I leave for a short getaway to Japan(!)). I miss baking so so much words cannot describe. It's my daily ritual to browse through Foodgawker and Tastespotting but I haven't been doing that recently because it almost hurt to see other people churning out delicious looking cakes and cookies while I couldn't. I almost completely neglected to read the posts of my favorite bloggers and I had a whole pile of them to go through, which I've just done, spending about 2 hours ogling at my computer screen.


Now it's my turn to contribute to the baking blogosphere. I made two mini loaves of chocolate chunk pumpkin bread - one to eat as it is, and another for something else. (If you find the name familiar, and if you can recall the full recipe, let's keep this a secret so that we don't spoil the surprise for others.)


The pumpkin bread was nicely flavoured with warm spices, but it felt a little flat. I left out the ground nutmeg in the recipe because I didn't have any on hand, but even if I had added it in, I think would still feel that the bread is lacking in a little something. And I have a hunch that that little something could be the rich caramelly flavour of brown sugar. Indeed, the recipe uses only white sugar, and I was tempted to swap it out for brown at first but I decided to trust in the recipe and adhere to the instructions. Well, I'm not saying that the pumpkin bread was bad, but it could be better. In fact, it's far from bad, it's actually pretty darn good! I couldn't stop snacking on it even after I've finished a fairly generous slice I cut for myself.


If the pumpkin bread is already so good by itself, I shudder with excitement to think how amazing it would be when I transform it into another dessert. Let us all await with bated breath.


Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Bread
makes a 9 x 5 inch loaf
partially adapted from Baked Elements

1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar (I recommend using brown sugar)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup water
6 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9 x 5 inch loaf tin.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger together.

Whisk the pumpkin puree and oil until combined. Whisk in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract and water until combined. Fold in the flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chunks.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65 to 85 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out almost clean. Cool before slicing.

No comments :

Post a Comment