I've Moved!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

milk and cookie shots.


So I wanted something quick to bake since I really wasn't supposed to (darn exams) but I was withering inside from being separated from my oven for so long. I didn't want something normal either. Therefore, cookie shots! I've been wanting to try out this idea for a while but cakes usually get priority whenever I have ample time to bake.

To be honest, the only spectacular point of these is the idea of drinking milk out of an edible cup itself, which is the very reason why these milk and cookie shots were invented anyway. Each cookie cup uses up a lot of dough and having one to yourself gives you quite the sugar rush. I imagine that the younger me might quite take to these; I think I've developed a preference for desserts with controlled and complex sweetness. Still, I found these rather charming because they are unabashedly and straightforwardly sugary and chocolaty, something you reach out to when you crave a sense of familiarity and comfort.


A few problems cropped up during the making of these. Firstly, the centers of the cookie cups puffed up ridiculously to the extent that it seemed like there was no cavity in the first place. But I quickly rectified it by tamping them down with the bottom of a shot glass. As I was squishing the dough back to the shape it belonged, the chocolate chips that came into contact with the glass lost their shape and smeared the insides of the cookie cups. At that point I thought that since the cookie cups are kinda coated with chocolate already I wouldn't have to coat them with chocolate later but huge mistake. I realised that there were still cracks in the dough when milk flowed out of the cups as quickly as I poured it in. I tried to prevent leaks in the remaining cups by coating the insides with peanut butter but they were leaky all the same. Takeaway: follow the recipe's instructions. (Although I never really learn to completely.)

I think this is a fun idea that lends itself to many variations. Definitely making cake next though!

dessert - milk and chocolate chip cookies

Milk and Cookie Shots
yield depends on the size of your mold
adapted from here

1 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips

melted chocolate
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp condensed milk (or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)

Grease the molds of a popover/cupcake pan.

Cream the butter and sugars until pale. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.

Press the dough into the molds, ensuring that the walls are about 1/4 inch thick. Chill for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake cookies for about 20 minutes or until cookies start to brown. If the centres puff up, use the bottom of a shotglass to flatten them back down once they are out from the oven. Alternatively, you can use some parchment paper and baking beads to prevent the dough from rising, just like when baking pie crusts. Cool cookies completely.

Brush some melted chocolate onto the insides of the cookie cups and chill them until the chocolate has set.

Mix the milk and condensed milk (or vanilla extract) together and serve in the cookie shots.

3 comments :

  1. I am really impressed with these cookie shots.. great idea! Definitely need to recreate the recipe, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be SO fun for a party. Love it!

    Amanda

    cozycaravan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant idea! How about filling these lil' beauties with a condensed milk pudding? Combine some milk, condensed milk, double cream and gelatine. Heat the milk and pour over gelatin. Combine with condensed milk and cream and pop into the fridge to stiffen up slightly. After say, half an hour, pour the thickened milk mix into your cups and pop back in the fridge for half an hour to firm up. Might sort that leakage out and I fancy it could be a novel and delicious dessert...

    ReplyDelete